Monday, 17 October 2011

3 Cops Suspended for Feeding a Terrorist
By: Bhupen Patel  

Two female constables and one head constable have been suspended for giving dry fruits to 2003 blast convict Fahmida Syed, whom they were guarding in court.

Passing on some seemingly innocuous dry fruits to your famished neighbour in a courtroom could 
well be the perfect example of a daily good deed. However, if you are a police constable on duty, 
and your neighbour happens to be a cold-blooded terrorist on death row, passing these tasty treats 
might be the most ill-advised gesture, which could cost you your job.  

Food for thought: Fahmida Syed was sentenced to death in 2009.
File pic for representation

Digest this: Hanif Syed and his wife Fahmida were convicted for their
role in the 2003 twin blasts. After being sentenced to death, Hanif is
said to have flashed a victory sign. File pics

Two female constables and one head constable attached to the Local Arms Unit of the Mumbai 
police have been suspended on charges of leniency, for passing on dry fruits to Fahmida Syed, 
who faces capital punishment for her role in the 2003 twin blasts in the city.

Ill-timed mercy
The three constables in the line of fire are Maya Dhage, Sonal Gavai and Keshav Suryavanshi, 
who made the mistake of choosing Fahmida as the recipient of their ill-timed gesture of 
benevolence. Fahmida, along with her husband Hanif and their associate Ashrat Ansari, 
had cold-bloodedly planted bombs that killed 52 and maimed 244 at Gateway of India and 
Zaveri Bazar on August 25, 2003.

Sources from the Local Arms Unit revealed that on September 12, the three cops were deployed 
to escort Fahmida and Syed to the Bombay High Court, for a hearing from Judge A Khanvilkar. 
In course of a break during the court session, they were allegedly seen passing some dry fruits to 
a hungry Fahmida.

When the court session resumed, Judge Khanvilkar noticed that the terrorist on death row was 
unmindfully chomping on dry fruits. Finding it difficult to stomach the irreverence, Khanvilkar 
investigated the matter. To his shock, he discovered that the very guards escorting them had passed 
on the treats. Outraged, he reprimanded them severely.

On August 25, 2003 twin car-bombings claimed 52 lives, injuring 244 others. The first bomb 
exploded at the Gateway of India, while the other went off in Zaveri Bazar. Both had been planted 
in parked taxis. 

Following the incident, cops arrested Ashrat Ansari, Hanif Syed and his wife Fahmida. 
All three were convicted and sentenced to death in 2009 by a special PoTA court in Mumbai. 
After being sentenced to death, a defiant Hanif is said to have flashed a victory sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment