Muslim Feminists Speak
By Asma Marwan on December 27, 2011
Here is the voice of a Muslim woman:
Islam is a pure faith, with the Holy text guiding us to live a good life. But that text is now lost under the thinly-veiled abuse of men who have interpreted it to what they want it to mean. Islam no longer exists in its pure form. It has been bastardised in order to wage war on others, and specifically women.
Basically, Islam does not exist anymore, except in the hearts of very few people. The ruling majority in Islamic states are not true Muslims. They are corrupt dictators who use and abuse the Holy text to get what they want, including multiple wives, sex and an excuse to abuse the women in their family.
Islamic law is on the side of men. That is a fact.
Here is a web page portal to most of the major Muslim feminist organizations. Many sites no longer exist, but there are many that are functioning and represent an activist presence in their communities.
Here is Equality Now, a great organization fighting the oppression of women that is not afraid to address injustice under Islam.
Here are my heartfelt questions.
Why don’t we hear more about this organization and why is it not more high profile in the news? Why are the feminist organizations not more vocal about the oppression of women in Islamic countries? Where are the liberals, the left, the sanctimonious women’s libbers, the political activists who scorn the religious bourgeoisie? Why are they not standing up for their counterparts in the Islamic World? Do they cower in a corner, afraid of the bullying CAIR reps and scorn from their fellow travelers who might shun them for speaking out?
This is a list of organizations that are designed to help Muslim women. They are from several different countries and are in several different languages. We tried to include as many as possible; if you would like to suggest an organization, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Muslimah Media Watch and its contributors do not necessarily endorse the content of the websites listed here or their owners.
- Act Together: Women’s Action for Iraq
- Ain o Salish Kendra
- Al Fatiha
- Arab Women’s Court
- Articulacion Feminista Marcosur
- Asian-Pacific Resource & Research Centre for Women
- Baitul Salaam Network
- BAOBAB for Women’s Human Rights
- Bint el Nas
- Canadian Council of Muslim Women
- Center for Egyptian Women’s Legal Assistance
- Change Happens: the SAFER blog
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women
- Document the Silence
- Equality Now
- FATIMA Women’s Network
- Femin-ijtihad: A Legal Academic Initiative for Muslim Women’s Rights
- Feminist International Radio Endeavour
- Frauen-Ohne-Grenzen / Women-Without-Borders
- Global Fund for Women
- Imagining Ourselves: a global generation of women
- International Campaign Against Honour Killings
- International Women’s Tribune Center
- Iranian and Kurdish Women’s Rights Organization
- IRanian Queer Railroad
- Islamic Sexology
- Isis International
- Kadının İnsan Hakları-Yeni Çözümler
- Karamah: Muslim Women Lawyers for Human Rights
- Kurdistan Refugee Women’s Organisation
- MADRE: An International Women’s Human Rights Organization
- Meydaan: Stop Stoning Forever
- Migrant Rights
- Muslim Sex Shop
- Muslimah Writers Alliance
- Muslim Women’s League
- Muslim Youth Movement Gender Desk
- Muslimat Al-Nisaa
- Muslims for Progressive Values
- Nätverket mot hedersrelaterat våld
- NASEEHA – Muslim Youth Helpline – because our future is on the line..
- Omid-e Mehr: Helping Victims of Violence and Domestic, Sexual, and Emotional Abuse in Tehran, Iran
- Pertubuhan Pertolongan Wanita
- Pusat Kesedaran Wanita (WCC Penang)
- Queer Jihad
- Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan
- Safra Project
- Salaam Canada
- Save Delara!
- Shirkat Gah – Women’s Resource Centre
- Sisterhood is Global Institute: Jordan
- Sisters in Islam
- Southall Black Sisters
- The Amana Media Initiative
- The Global Campaign to Stop Killing and Stoning Women
- The Jordanian National Comission for Women
- The Lebanese Council to Resist Violence Against Women
- The Palestinian Working Woman Society for Development
- The Sakina Center
- Ulfah Arts
- Young Arab Feminist Network
- Welcome to Big Sister
- WISE: Women’s Islamic Initiative in Spirituality and Equity
- Women for Women International
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws
- Women of Pakistan
- Women’s Empowerment in Muslim Contexts
- Women’s Initiatives for Gender Justice
- Women’s Learning Partnership
- World Pulse
- تغییر برای برابری (One Million Signatures Campaign)
- جمعية نهوض وتنمية الماة
- مركز المرأة Women’s Center for Legal Aid and Counseling